Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Saving the best for last?

Crikey, that's the biggest barcode I've ever seen

Okay, it's debatable whether Edinburgh Castle is the best castle in Scotland. I think some in the Malone-Turney household might give Stirling that honor. But Edinburgh Castle, for sheer dominance of the skyline, wins the vote in my book.

The six of us took the bus to the castle. Getting our usual late start (it took me a few hours to prep the lasagna), we didn't have a ton of time to spend there, but we had several hours, which was enough.


Like Stirling, Edinburgh castle is very tourist-friendly. It was pretty busy too. As we were leaving the castle, The kids and I were ahead and walking under the portcullis, Cristina called out to us, "Hey, you guys stop for a minute!" We stopped and turned, and so did the two young male tourists who were right beside us. Such is the power of the mom voice.


 Mons Meg. 'Atsa big gun, 'at.

 This is the sword--is a replica of the sword--that the kings of Scotland were coronated with. Cast members of "Massacre in Room 100" will get the allusion.


Outside of the gates, two different families asked me if I could take a photo of them. One guy had a Vanderbilt jacket on, so we talked a little SEC with them.

We were able to meet Steve's brother Brandon for a few minutes. He had a meeting near the castle. Eleven years ago, we stayed in his backyard for three weeks. We saw a lot more of him then, so it was nice to at least see him for a few minutes.

 Meeting Brandon in what used to be the Scottish Parliament Hall

I wanted to get this apron for Cristina

Steve left us to pick up the girls from the train station. We picked up some more postcards and then spent too much money in an all-natural-ish drug store place called Holland & Barrett. I thought it snarky to munch on some chocolate digestives (obtained at the post card shop) in a place that was all health-conscious. I bet the employees wanted one.

Back home, Steve put the lasagnas in the oven. Alex, Bella, and I got off the bus at Lidl and bought some French bread for garlic bread, and some ginger ale. I haven't drunk much soda this vacation and it was time for a splurge.



Dinner was great. I think Laura and Steve really liked the lasagna. Steve asked for the recipe. Always a good sign.

After dinner, we watched, flabbergasted, Germany dismantle and humiliate Brasil, 7-1. I'm glad we're going to Germany soon and not Brasil!


No comments: