Friday, July 11, 2014

Langenthal

Today was a pretty chill day. I slept late. Eli and Neil had gotten home late from their out of town visit, so we got to have breakfast with them.



The kids played a lot of Uno.


We went to the local library. I drove Cristina, Bella, Dominique, and Brigitte. The big kids rode bikes there.

We went shopping at Migros to get stuff for dinner. I had offered to cook a dinner of balsamic chicken cutlets, potato pancakes (inspired by Marion), and broccoli. I had my first Swiss cost-of-living shock after getting home from Migros. I thought the chicken cutlets were 3.40 Swiss Francs per kilo (about $3.80). I picked 6 boneless skinless breast fillets, not the whole breast, just half breasts without tenderloin. 6 breasts were about a kilo. I knew it wouldn't be a lot of chicken for the number of people I was cooking for, but I'd slice them in half and make it work. Once I got home, I looked closer at the receipt. It turns out the chicken cost 3.40 per 100g, not per kilo. So my 6 chicken breasts actually cost 34 CHF, not 3.40. Which equals about $38. Ouch! I should have known that 3.40 was too cheap for a kilo of chicken breasts, especially in a country like Switzerland. But we had just bought chicken breasts in Scotland a few days earlier, and I remember them being so much cheaper there. Oh well. Live and learn. Thank goodness I didn't burn the chicken.

The potato pancakes were tasty, but they took a long time to fry, and it pushed dinner late. The Tardents had a great vegetable grater gizmo, a vintage Zyliss, which Bella helped me with. We had that whole bag of potatoes grated in no time.

No comments: