Sunday, August 3, 2014

Heading to the West Coast

I picked up the girls from the festival. As expected they were dirty and tired. Sofia was a bit cranky. She wouldn't let me take a photo of them, even though to me they didn't look that different. But they had a really good time.

At home they showered and we packed up for a trip to the west coast of Denmark for a few days at Mette's parents summer house. During a stop for gas, Jesper bought these candies and gave them to us:


Jesper warned us that the Tyrkisk Peber were spicy. Naturally I tried one of those first. It was a hard candy, whereas the Haribo things were gummy. I sucked on it for a good three minutes or so. It was a weird mixture of sweet licorice and a chemical-like taste that I later figured out from the ingredients was ammonia. I really intended on getting to the center, but the longer I sucked on it, the worse it tasted. I don't like licorice, so that was a strike against it to begin with. Finally, starting to feel a little sick, I gave up and spit it out the window. I asked for something fruity and gummy to take the taste out of my mouth.

I wanted Alex to experience a Tyrkisk Peber, so he tried one. He only lasted about 30 seconds before he spit it out.

It was about two hours drive to the summer house. Once we were settled in the house, we walked over the dunes (and over a WWII bunker) to the beach.


When the Germans built this bunker, they probably never imagined that 70 years later it'd be used as a jumping platform into the sand dune.









Back at the house, we showered, made dinner (pølse from Denmark, brats from Hamburg, potatoes) and played games. The kids taught Mette Ligretto.



For dessert, we had the second most unusual dessert I've had on this trip: koldskål with kammerjunkere (literally translates to cold bowl with chamber servant, or valet). Basically it's a bowl of dairy stuff (koldskål) that's like a cross between buttermilk and egg nog, with little cookies (kammerjunkere) added, and you eat it, not unlike a bowl of cereal. We added some of the strawberry puree from a previous dessert, which was not traditional, but yummy.


No comments: