Monday, July 6, 2009

Up the Creek

I wasn’t sure whether I was supposed to make pancakes Sunday morning or Monday morning. So I got up (or rather Bella got me up) around 7, showered and dressed, and made my way to the kitchen.

I only had one good pan, which made the pancakes slow-going, but not everyone was up yet, so it was easy enough to feed the kids one at a time. As the adults made their way to the kitchen, I gave a hot pancake to anyone who wanted one. Fabian made gallo pinto and Wito fried up some “International Chorizo,” a package of different sausages from around the world.

After breakfast, Fabian and Carmen, Cristina and I, and most of the kids went hiking to find one of the nearby waterfalls. 



We went down some steep steps to the river, and then hiked up the river. Bella was slow, so the others got ahead of us. Cristina, Bella, and I took our time. Bella was a real trooper, working with us to get through the more treacherous parts, fearless to push on, but not dangerously so.




We eventually encountered the others at a fork in the river as they were coming back from the waterfall. They said it was just up a little farther, so while they explored the other way, Bella, Cristina and I went to the waterfall. It was about 20 feet tall, and back deep in a rocky crevice. Bella went as far as she comfortably could, and then waited on a mossy log while Cristina and I went to the falls. We had to crawl on our hands and knees up a wet log, but it was worth it.



After reuniting with the others, we had the option of hiking a trail back, or going back down the river. The kids picked the river. At one point the river was so deep in one spot of rapids that when the kids jumped in, it was over there heads. It was a small river though so it never felt dangerous. A creek, really.

Before climbing the stairs back to the house, we took a dip in a little swimming pool that is filled by a pipe from the river. It felt refreshing to lie in the cool river water within the comfort of a tiled pool.

When we got back to the house, I hung up my shoes to dry. I had only brought one pair of shoes, and after slogging through the river, mine were now waterlogged. Cristina, Bella, and I got in the Jacuzzi. I cracked open an ice cold Kaiser (Costa Rica’s non-alcoholic beer). The water wasn’t too hot, which was nice. The boys soon joined us, and had a good time swimming under our legs. Especially Cristina’s, which formed a better underwater bridge. 



I finally felt done, so I went back to our room and took a nice leisurely shower and put on dry clothes. I also got Bella cleaned up and washed her hair.

For lunch, we made (what we call at home) “burrito bar.” Fried tortillas, pulled pork, my fresh salsa (or pico de gallo, as they call it), guacamol, cheese, sour cream. And Cristina cut up a bunch of fresh fruit: pineapple, mango, papaya, grapes, and strawberries.



After lunch, I decided to have some personal hammock-time. Down the stairs from the house is a small, covered veranda with a huge hammock. I took the laptop there and worked on my journal in the hammock. I think I was there for about 45 minutes. No one knew I was there and I don’t know if anyone was looking for me. It was nice to get away from everything for a moment.


The clouds moved enough to get a nice glimpse of the crater

I walked back to my room. The kids were all playing together. Some of the adults were chatting at the kitchen table and others were napping. I lay on my bed and tried to nap a little myself. Bella and Belen came in and out, playing doctor for a while, and then cops and robbers, and then teacher. I got Bella to say que es eso? to Belen in order to learn what things are called in Spanish. I heard her say it a few times, which was encouraging. Bella has been the most resistant to speaking Spanish. Not surprising, given her age.

Bella wanted her lollypop from the car, so I got it for her and moseyed down to the kitchen. Cristina was still chatting with Fabian and Carmen. I hung out with them for a little while. Bella started complaining about having nothing to do. The big kids were down at the big pool, and Bella wanted to join them, but she was already clean, my shoes were still wet, and I didn’t want to hike down there with her, especially not barefooted. Cristina went back in the Jacuzzi and Bella and I swung in the hammock. I told her a few stories and we looked at the pictures on the camera.

Just as it was getting dark, Cristina noticed that you could see a glowing spot of lava at the crater of the volcano. I didn’t think I’d ever gotten to see the actual lava flows in all our trips to Arenal, though Cristina says we have. Regardless, now I’ve seen the lava. We imagined how beautiful it was on the other side, where the crater dips lower. It was probably flowing in visible rivulets on the other side. But our side was pretty too.

Carolina whipped up some pasta for dinner and we got the kids bathed and in bed. Our room was lovely, so I hate to complain. But Bella’s bed had some major deficiencies in the middle section. It wasn’t too bad when she was lying on it by herself. But when I joined her, the middle sagged down. Almost like a Craftmatic adjustable bed, just without the adjustable part. It wasn’t much of an issue, because I only laid on it when I was putting her to sleep. My bed was fine.

I stayed up a little later this night, but not much. By 10 I was ready to hit the hay.

No comments: