Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Final Week

Today was our last trip to the National Theater. Today’s performance was a group of saxophonists. They were fantastic.


After the show, we had some shopping to do. But first, we had a museum to visit. Sofia had wanted to go to the Jade Museum, and this was out best chance. So we walked to the Museum and explored for an hour or so.

Various jade doo-dads

We couldn't use flash, so this came out a little fuzzy, but these are three small stone spheres, roughly basketball-sized


Sofia drilling a hole in jade with a Pre-Columbian style drill (she was allowed to!)


These stamps made me think of my ceramics class


While we waited for Cristina and Maritza to finish, we pretended like we were asleep

In the lobby of the Museum building, we found flyers for a hotel that offered a great lunch deal. But it ended at 2:30 and it was currently 2:15. So we got directions and set off for the hotel. We made it there at 2:25 and luckily they were happy to seat us (though we were the only ones there). I think restaurants in hotels offer the best deals. We got arroz con pollo with refried beans, steamed vegetables, salad, fruit drink, and dessert for 2300 ($4). And it was tasty to boot!

Lunch at the hotel...note the giant "Dogs Playing Poker" mural...classy!


Alex and I, paying the lunch bill at the bar.  Note the Gator hat, second from the right.

When we left the hotel, it was pouring rain. And we had one umbrella between the six of us. We debated taking a taxi to our next shopping spot, just three blocks or so away. But finally we just plunged ahead on foot and got a little wet.

At La Casona, a souvenir Mecca for tourists, we got some things for the people who are watching our dog, Vivien. Bella has badly wanted a specific Costa Rican dress, but the one at La Casona was 12,000 ($21). I was pretty sure I’d seen them at the Central Market for much less. But Cristina said the ones at the market were a different kind. So I gave her the benefit of the doubt and gave in. I had to go to a nearby ATM (you get a better deal when you pay with cash) to have enough money but after what seemed an eternity, we finally left. And thankfully the rain had stopped.

Next we went to the Central Market to get more tea pots for the kindergarten teachers at DMS. I went by the stalls where I remembered the dresses and it didn’t take much looking before I spotted more-or-less the exact dress we had just bought. I asked how much it cost. 6500! When I told Cristina, she was sick with disgust. She regretted not following my advice, but she also said I should have been firmer in holding out (wait, so it’s my fault?) Sofia wanted to go back to La Casona and get a refund, but we had to explain to her that Costa Rica is different than the States. You know that maxim “The customer is always right?” That doesn’t apply in Costa Rica. All sales are final. Period.

During the taxi ride back to Pavas, I realized that we had to let it go. If we continued to be upset (warning: New Age-y stuff ahead) our negative energy would be put into that dress. I didn’t want something that Bella so lovingly and innocently cherished to be bound up with all of our disgust and anger at being ripped off. I briefly explained these thoughts to Cristina and she immediately was on the same page. So for the record, Bella loves the dress, it’s very cute on her, and we have done our part to help the Costa Rican economy. Pura Vida!


Plus, when you truly do the math, we’re only talking about a $9 difference. How many other ways have we wasted $9 back home? Buying snacks at the movies, eating lunch out instead of packing a sandwich, etc. It’s all about keeping things in perspective.

We had done such a big meal for lunch (and a late one at that) that at home we just snacked on a hodge-podge of things before getting the kids to bed: chips and salsa, salad, fresh fruit, leftover Papa John’s.

At some point during the afternoon, we found out from Maritza that the Blue Bomber had died. It had no oil, brake fluid, or water in the radiator. When the service guy added water, it just flowed right on through to the ground, so obviously the radiator is shot. So our plans for using it the next two days are also shot. Cristina and I mulled over the possibility of renting a vehicle for our last week here.

Later, I updated my blog and watched some TV.

3 comments:

Fran said...

What a beautiful dress! So glad you took a pic. What a great vacation you seem to have had. I would sooooo love to visit Costa Rica some day.

Bonnie and John said...

Ohhhhh I love the dress. well worth the money. And she looks adorable in it. She is just so precious!!!! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
love to you all....
bonnie

Elena said...

I hate it when you agree to something and then it come back and bite b/c you didn't stand your ground. lol. So is life I guess.
But I really do love the dress.