Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Day at Carmen's

Bella woke me at 6 am to help her in the bathroom. After I finished, she ran off to the kitchen where Maritza was doing something. I took the opportunity to sneak back to bed. While I lay there, I could hear Bella talking Maritza’s ear off.

We finally got up and ready. Miranda was coming by around 8:30 to pick us up for a day at the pool in Carmen’s neighborhood. Their gated community has a clubhouse with a large pool and restaurant, so we were going to go there, relax, hang out, and let the kids play.

We got to Carmen’s around 10 and walked to the clubhouse. I was a few days behind on my journal, so I brought the laptop. And to my delight, the clubhouse had free wi-fi! So not only could I type up my journals but I could upload them to my blog. I was starting to think Wito had the only working wireless router in Costa Rica.



The kids got hungry fast, so they showered and dressed. I didn’t get much uploaded before we were heading back to Carmen’s house for lunch. I put out the chips and salsa and the ladies made arroz con pollo. The kids played outside until time to eat.

Carmen has a cool, chill version of “Live and Let Die” on her iPod. She doesn’t have the disc for us to borrow, so I’ll just make a note of it here so I’ll remember to track it down later. I don’t know if the group is called Bossa n’ Roses or just the album.

I got caught up on my journals, although I no longer had internet to upload them to my blog.


The rest of the afternoon was laid back: playing, chatting, snacking. I walked up to the playground with the kids. We took some big pieces of cardboard for sliding down a hill on. But it was starting to mist, and the wetness made the sliding impossible. Back at the house, the kids watched a movie.

Sunset at Carmen's house

We fed the kids some leftover arroz con pollo and left close to bedtime. Back in Pavas, after the kids were asleep, Wito and I finally got tacos, with fried potatoes, from the taqueria across the street. Costa Rican-style tacos and burritos are deep-fried (my friend Steve in fry-happy Scotland will appreciate this). They were delicious, but I definitely reached maximum grease saturation. Wouldn't want to do that too often.


Here's the "Live and Let Die" cover.  Found it on YouTube, of course.  It's from an album of Guns n Roses covers, and GnR covered McCartney's "Live and Let Die" back in the day.

1 comment:

Malone said...

Nice track. Did you see that Heather O'Donnell saw him live recently?