Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Dentist

I've never liked going to the dentist. A couple of years ago, I signed up for a different kind of dental insurance through work, so we had to choose a dentist from a list. I guess we got lucky, because we've all enjoyed the dentist we chose. His name is Sean Ziaei, or Dr. Z as we call him. He's a young, Persian dentist (though not a Baha'i) who is perfectly willing to have us all there at the same time. It's just a very comfortable family atmosphere, which we appreciate. He loves our teeth, and he loves our family. It's good.

But as warm and fuzzy as our dental trips have been, Isabella has still been hesitant to let him look in her mouth. It hasn't really mattered, since she's still so young. But now that she's 3, we're ready for her to start getting check ups with the rest of us.

It's a delicate situation. We don't want to force anything and create (potentially long-lasting) negative feelings about going to the dentist. We want her to ease into it and develop a healthy relationship with the care of her teeth.

With that in mind, I devised a little ceremony for Bella. We had our 6 month cleaning scheduled for this past Monday, and we were going to be adding Bella to the event for the first time. So before we left for the dentist, we all sat down at the dining table. I had 5 tea candles on the table and one at a time, oldest to youngest, we lit a candle and shared some fond memory of our first trip to the dentist. I mentioned being given a free toothbrush. Cristina talked about how nice it was to be given care and attention by her dentist. Sofia's memory was of a TV in the ceiling playing cartoons and being given funny sunglasses to wear during the exam. Alex remembered being asked what flavor toothpaste he wanted (bubble gum). And then it was Bella's turn. She wanted me to help her light her candle. She seemed excited about being a big girl and going to the dentist like the rest of us.

But when we got to the dentist it was a different story. Though she wasn't happy about it, she let them take 2 X-rays. And though she wouldn't sit in the chair by herself, she finally (sort of) opened her mouth for Dr. Z to look in. He looked in for a few seconds (literally) and said "she's fine!" Baby steps.


It's a start. 6 months from now, Bella will be 4. Hopefully she will be a little more comfortable with the experience then. I'm sure she will be.

And by the way, Sofia needs braces and Alex has a cavity.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, Sofia needs braces? Hope your dental insurance covers that. Where on earth did Alex get a cavity from? Poor Bella, she will get better. That was a great way to start her off. Keep up that positive attitude and you might just ease her into dentistry with a happy face. :)

Love you all...

Malone said...

Poor Bella, she looks terrified! she's still only three though. we had a great dentist when I was a kid. The same dentist my mum had had since she moved to Aberdeen when she was 19. I actually enjoyed going, mainly because I got a glowing report every time. That all changed just before I was about to move to the states and I broke my front tooth when I tripped and landed on my face. After that it just got worse. I had to have 5 baby teeth pulled in one sitting and wear a retainer for years. Since then the cap on my front tooth has fallen off twice, bizarrely both times whilst eating pizza. The last time this happened was just last year. Laura thought it was hilarious because I just had this shard of a tooth on the front. Made me look like a thug.

(Sorry, kept making typos and had to delete comments. Is there any way you can edit other than deleting? I should proof read more carefully before publishing!)

Dejahmi by Beth Respess said...

what a great way to start off a new experience! It's wonderful that the dentist helped by making it so quick and simple and gave her a good report, too! I have a feeling she'll be excited to go next time. now if only my next dentist appointment could be as simple... fingers crossed.

miss you guys!

Wayne said...

Well, there's a high probability that Sofia will need braces. Dr. Z is not making that call, but he is recommending that we get a free consult with an orthodontist. Her canines aren't in yet and there appears to be about 2 mm less room than she'll need for those. And she's got another tooth that hasn't come down yet. So it's looking pretty crowded. Alex has had a cavity before, so I think this is his second or third. Don't know why. I guess he got the cavity genes. Or he's hiding sugar in his bedroom, which kids sometimes do.

Mary said...

I am nearly 40 yrs and I still hate the dentist. I have to have a root canal inthe next minth and not only does the idea itself bother me, the cost makes me want to cry. But I will get through it somehow. Glad Bella had a postitive experience.

Lynn said...

All three of mine have needed some kind of orthodontic work, but Hunter has not had his and chase needs more, but it aint gonna happen any time soon now. I had root canal. in a front tooth. Hated It! Never had a dental visit i liked.