Wednesday, February 13, 2008

King of Kong

Last August, Dom blogged about a documentary he saw about the guy who has held the world-record for Donkey Kong and how an unknown challenger threatened to take the record from him. It sounds really corny, I know, but Dom really lauded the film. So when we recently switched from Blockbuster to Netflix, I remembered The King of Kong and put it on our queue.

It came yesterday and I watched it last night. Dom was right. It was fantastic! You would never think a movie about a vintage video game could be so compelling. Totally sucked me in. I literally applauded at the end. I wanted to write a letter to Steve Weibe and tell him that he was my hero.

I watched the bonus features too, which were lengthy and kept me up way too late on a school night. As a result, I'm a bit bleary-eyed today at work.

But it was worth it.

The King of Kong. Check it out.

4 comments:

Malone said...

Thanks for reminding me. We have just started a DVD rental thing over here so we'll add that to our list. I think Laura was intrigued when I mentioned it to her.

Fran Eury said...

You are so nuts and I love you for it big time! I cannot imagine how this movie could be so compelling but I intend to find out like you did. Your dad used to love Donkey Kong. It was his favorite game for a long time.
Love, mom

Dejahmi by Beth Respess said...

I've actually seen this one on the shelf and wanted to check it - Now that you guys give it another thumbs up, we'll put it at the top of the list!

Yay for netflix!

Lynn said...

I see it beat SuperBad on the ratings scale. Must be good.