Saturday, February 16, 2008

Little Twelvetoes

Bella was just watching Schoolhouse Rock (or "Schoolrock House" as she calls it). We were watching some of the math songs together and I just had to blog about the one for the 12 times table. It's called Little Twelvetoes. And it's possibly the weirdest, most abstract Schoolhouse Rock video of them all.

You would think 12 would be an easy one to write. Eggs. Months. A dozen. But no, the Schoolhouse Rock writers decided not to go the easy route. They came up with a "what if" scenario that would have even Einstein scratching his head.

For those who don't remember their Saturday morning cartoons in the 70's, let me refresh you. It goes like this:

What if instead of 10 fingers we had 12? We'd naturally then have 12 toes as well. And then our entire number system would be based on 12 instead of 10 (which subtlety but brilliantly theorizes that our number system grew from counting on our own hands and feet). Here's where it starts to stretch your mind. This number system based on our 12 fingers and 12 toes wouldn't be 1 through 12. It would still end in 10, but we'd have 2 additional digits in there. Hey, let's call them dek and el. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, dek, el, and doe.

This trippy revelation is posited by an overgrown farm boy as he contemplates the starry sky (I think we know what they're growing somewhere on that farm...this is the 70's). Then, he imagines that somewhere out in the universe is a being with 12 fingers and 12 toes who must enjoy the benefit of easily learning his 12 times table, and soon the song about Little Twelvetoes swings into high gear.



Something tells me after writing brilliance such as "Unpack your Adjectives" and "Conjunction Junction," the writers were a little burned out. I can picture them, late at night, deadline staring them in the face, maybe imbibing a little in the studio. Hey, I think I've got it! And Little Twelvetoes is born.

6 comments:

PFC, Johnson, Steven said...

You are such a trip. I recently found the website with little snippets of the songs and sharged it with some of my kids. The local community theater is doing "Schoolhouse Rock Live". I sure hope Patrick can do some tech work so we can get gree tickets. The girls missed auditions unfortunately. But it should be a good show.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I did it again, I accidentally posted under Steven's login. Sorry!

Lynn said...

I think we all know it is you Mary when this happens. Or at least anybody that matters to know.

I don't remember the little twelve toes song. Although I can hear the multiplication song in my head I think.

Makes me want to start watching Saturday morning cartoons a little.
Not.

Fran Eury said...

I don't remember ever seeing "twelve toes" when you all were little but then I didn't tend to watch Saturday morning cartoons. I was probably at work or sleeping in.... :) Anyway, it is cute to think about. Love, mom

Burton Meahl said...

Great post, as usual Wayne. I wanted to comment on your mention of Bella saying "Schoolrock House". It jogged some memories. It is cute how sometimes the kids get the phrases jumbled up. The one that Tyler had that entertained me the most was he always wanted to take a bath in "Big Mama's Tub". Now he finds it hard to believe that he used to say that about Mama's big tub (since his Mama weighs in just over 100 lb when not pregnant)!

Evan said...

I love your blog. You have the type of blog I'd like to have. I just don't have the intelligence to write the comedic stuff you do. Or the experiences.