Sunday, July 7, 2019

Barbecue at Quinto Atirro

Today was sort of a chill day, although preparing for the barbecue took a bit of time. I had looked up Spanish names for different cuts of meat, so when I went to MaxiPali to buy the pork and chicken, I thought I could figure out what I wanted. But none of the names of pork shoulder that I had looked up (hombro de cerdo being the frontrunner) were listed on the pork. Based on my experience buying pork in the States, I had an idea of which pork I wanted, but when I asked the girl if it was hombro, while gesturing to my own shoulder, she said no. I bought it anyway. I don’t trust that girl.

The other weird thing is that I asked for muslo de pollo, expecting it to be chicken thighs, and she gave me filleted leg quarters. No one in Gainesville fillets leg quarters!

Alex, grillmaster
I prepped the meat, cutting it into thin strips and marinating it in achiote, garlic, salt, and lemon juice. Alex took on the main barbecuing duties. He lit the charcoal, he cooked the meat, adding barbecue sauce in the final stage. I was proud of him. And it was delicious. We also made homemade pico de gallo and shredded cabbage. Basically, we copied Marguerita’s pork taco dinner. To up the ante, all three kids and I made homemade tortillas.





The U.S. women won the World Cup, though we missed it because we had the times wrong. We watched a bit of Brasil win the America’s Cup, and then we watched the U.S. lose the Gold Cup to Mexico.

No comments: