Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Valentine's Day Poem

Alex has a friend in his class who happens to be a girl (she'll remain nameless for now). They get along really well, enjoy play dates together, and play every day at school. It's been nice to see Alex, our rough-and-tumble boy's boy, have such a sincere friendship with a girl, though he's hesitant to admit it.

On Thursday, Alex and Bella made Valentines to distribute to the kids in their classes. Alex's were all the same: he wrote his name in nice cursive, and then wrote "Happy Valentine's Day." And that was it. All the same.

Except for one.

Cristina and I noticed that on one of the Valentines, he had printed his friend's name, the nameless friend, as well as the simple message "I love you."

That's the sweetest Valentine's Day gift I've ever seen.

I'm not a huge fan of love poems, but this is one that has stuck with me through the years. My son's lovely, innocent gesture made me think of it, and I thought it would be fitting to share it today.

"Oranges"
by Gary Soto

The first time I walked
With a girl, I was twelve,
Cold, and weighted down
With two oranges in my jacket.
December. Frost cracking
Beneath my steps, my breath
Before me, then gone,
As I walked toward
Her house, the one whose
Porch light burned yellow
Night and day, in any weather.
A dog barked at me, until
She came out pulling
At her gloves, face bright
With rouge. I smiled,
Touched her shoulder, and led
Her down the street, across
A used car lot and a line
Of newly planted trees,
Until we were breathing
Before a drugstore. We
Entered, the tiny bell
Bringing a saleslady
Down a narrow aisle of goods.
I turned to the candies
Tiered like bleachers,
And asked what she wanted -
Light in her eyes, a smile
Starting at the corners
Of her mouth. I fingered
A nickle in my pocket,
And when she lifted a chocolate
That cost a dime,
I didn't say anything.
I took the nickle from
My pocket, then an orange,
And set them quietly on
The counter. When I looked up,
The lady's eyes met mine,
And held them, knowing
Very well what it was all
About.

Outside,
A few cars hissing past,
Fog hanging like old
Coats between the trees.
I took my girl's hand
In mine for two blocks,
Then released it to let
Her unwrap the chocolate.
I peeled my orange
That was so bright against
The gray of December
That, from some distance,
Someone might have thought
I was making a fire in my hands.

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody.

4 comments:

Fran said...

How sweet. I think it is great that Alex has a good friend who happens to be a girl. Sounds like he is sweet on her in a very special way. And to think, he is not even 10 yet, let alone 12. I can't wait to see him. Wish I could see the whole family but unless I am not scheduled to work all of those days and I can find a house pet sitter there is no way I can come to AZ with your dad. I've thought about it, mind you. :)

Lynn said...

Sweet poem. Happy Valentine's Day to you, too. Lee proposed to me on Valentine's Day. Friday it had started to snow AGAIN which meant the boys were probably going to stay with me longer (they had already been here two weeks past their usual two week stint)and Lee stopped by on his way home from work to give me some Valentine Candy. I thought it was very sweet and thoughtful of him to remember me. He didn't stay as the roads were already slick. They are calling for snow again Sunday night. I heard we are getting Canada's weather here, especially in DC. I hear they got 6 feet?

Paula said...

So special! Thanks for sharing in such a considerate way!

Anonymous said...

Nice poem, especially if it consists of you my congratulations.