Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bella's got Chicken Pox

A little over a week ago, we took Bella to a chicken pox party. Thursday evening, she started showing a few teeny red spots. By Friday, the diagnosis was definite. Our attempts to expose our daughter to a disease had proven successful.

Friday morning...it begins. She was sad because she would miss exchanging Valentines with her class.

One of her first pox

Sofia and Alex both got the chicken pox vaccine years ago (Sofia got the shot out of necessity for school, and Alex because I took him to get his shots once and was persuaded by the nurse to get it...I didn't know I was supposed to decline it). Cristina and I both had chicken pox as kids. We prefer the immunity gained from contracting the disease, which while inconvenient and uncomfortable, is better than the vaccine. Even my mother-in-law, who is a major proponent of vaccines, says the chicken pox vaccine is not that great.

Friday night...Bella ate her heart pizza from the comfort of an oatmeal bath

So Bella is rockin' the pox. Her fever has yet to get above 100, but she's in the full-fledged itchy phase. But it'll eventually be over and then she won't have to worry about it again.

Saturday morning...the pox are spreading and have reached her face.

She seems happy, but she begrudgingly agreed to pose for pictures. Poor thing has one on her lower eyelid. And on the top of her head. And in between her toes. And some other private areas.

Not too sick to play with the dog a little.

Cristina wanted me to list the various remedies she's been using, but I'll go ahead and post now and add her stuff later.

7 comments:

kotterfamily said...

Hello, We are looking to get our own case of the chicken pox! We do not want to vaccinate our kids, but they have to the chicken pox vaccine/immuninty for school. Is there anyway that you can send some infected lollipops to GA? We will be happy to pay shipping. We have looked and looked but not found any Pox Parties here! I know it's sounds a little nutty...but we need to contract it ASAP. My email is thekotterfamily@gmail.com.
I hope Bella feels better soon!
Thanks,
Jessica

Elena said...

Poor Bella she looks so sad in some of those pictures! But thanks for the update and the pictures. I love your blog. :}

Fran said...

Bless her little heart. I have never approved of the chickenpox vaccine. It came out when I was in FL working in the clinics. It had way too many scary side effects. Mary is not wild about it either (if I remember correctly) and she's a peds nurse!
Hers does not look as severe as Lynn and Bonnie's did all those years ago. They got them at the same time from a day care innoculation, I think. I was horrified that they would be scarred for life but the lesions all went away uneventfully.
Give Bella a kiss from me and tell her I love her and hope she is well very soon. :)

Paula said...

Bella is impossibly adorable, no matter how many chicken pox! What a good sport about it, love the heart pizza in oatmeal bath. Imagine what a good story (with photos) she'll be able to tell her children one day! And what caring and compassion she will have learned to show when someone else becomes sick and uncomfortable, thanks to the wonderful model provided by her attentive parents!

Unknown said...

Hi Wayne! My name is Stacy, and I am a freelance writer with The Gainesville Sun. We are working on a story about chicken pox parties, and I stumbled on your blog while doing some research. I'd love to chat with you about your daughter and the party. Please feel free to e-mail me at fournier.stacy@gmail.com. Thanks!

Chicken Pox Cure said...

Hey I really enjoyed reading this! I found this searching for the Chicken Pox, and I really liked the pics. Very cute. :-)

I agree with the Chicken Pox Parties method. The vaccine can actually be pretty dangerous and there's risks to it, I also prefer the natural approach.

Good luck with everything and I will be sure to follow your blog.

Vibha13 said...

Thanks for sharing! Here's my expereience with the disease.. at 30!