Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Six Steps

When Sofia was young and had weaned, about 3 or 4, I would lay down with her every night till she fell asleep. Sometimes she would have a hard time settling down and falling asleep. I told her it's actually very easy to fall asleep if you just do certain things. I came up with 5 things, to be exact. If you did all 5, you were sure to fall asleep pretty quickly. Pretty soon, she would ask for me to say the Five Steps when she was trying to fall asleep. Eventually, she added a sixth step. The sixth step didn't seem to make as much sense, because you technically don't do it until you've fallen asleep. But she was adamant about adding it. And she always said it with such comfort and joy that I knew it was an important step to her. So it stuck. Even today, I still say it the same way she used to say it.

Anyway, Bella is now at that age, and she often asks for the Six Steps when she's trying to fall asleep. They're nothing revolutionary, but here they are. If you have trouble falling asleep, feel free to try them:

Step 1: Close your eyes.

Step 2: Be very still.

Step 3: Be very quiet.

Step 4: Take deep breaths.

Step 5: Think happy thoughts.

Step 6: is to DREEEAAMM...

4 comments:

Mary said...

I like the 6 steps. I will try them, but if only my mind would stick to happy thoughts, ikt seems to drift of the worries way too easily. I will let you know if it works. Love you, M

Fran said...

I actually have tried the first three on a regular basis. I shall have to incorporate the last three. If only I can stop thinking up limericks at this time of night. Though they are always happy thoughts, they distract from sleepiness, I think. :) It also helps to eat a banana due to the triptophan (sp?) they say. In fact, it is curently 5:38AM and I need more sleep so I am going to go get a banana and go back to bed. ove to all.

Lynn said...

Wish I had seen this last night before bed.

Lynn said...

I had a banana last night but it didn't help me.