Friday, September 12, 2008

The Real Thing...hecho en Meh-hee-co!

If you've read my Costa Rica journals or blog, you know that one of my favorite things about Costa Rica is that you can still get Coca-Cola in glass bottles. It just tastes better. Beer drinkers know that beer tastes best out of glass, and it's the same thing with soda.

Soda made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup tastes better too. It just does. But it's really hard to find soda made with real sugar, since 90% of the soda on the U.S. market is owned by two companies. Sure you can get specialty sodas made with cane sugar. I've done that occasionally. But they're expensive. And sometimes the flavors are kind of fruity. I don't want orange creamsicle soda, even if it is made with real sugar.

I'm not a big soda drinker, by the way. Sure, I drank more than anyone ever should when I worked at a movie theater. But now, other than the occasional Coke at the movies or at a party, I stick to water or tea.

But that doesn't mean I don't love a good, cold Coke in a glass bottle.

One of the advantages of living 4 hours from Mexico is that you can buy Mexican Coke here in Phoenix. Glass bottle. Real cane sugar. It's not cheap, but it's not that much more than buying a Coke from a machine. Maybe you can get Mexican Coke anywhere in the country. I don't know. But I don't recall seeing it in Florida.

As a splurge for this football season, I bought a case of Mexican Coca-Cola today. I'll ice a couple down each Saturday and partake while I watch the Gators. I don't drink alcohol, so I don't feel too bad about this relatively mild indulgence.

Coke...es la cosa verdadera!



3 comments:

d-'-'k said...

Ah, yes....Mexican Coke. It DOES taste better. My guess is that it reminds me of what I remember sodas tasting like when I was a kid. Maybe they used real sugar back then. Regardless, good on you, my friend. I too partake of the occassional Mexican Coke. It's pretty easy to obtain here in LA, but I still only have it occassionally. Tasty.

Fran said...

I must look for some of this coke to compare the difference but then I only drink diet sodas (when I drink soda) and my fight is to get the Aspartame out of diet drinks and replace the sweetener with Stevia....

Malone said...

Hmm. I'll have to check out the ingredients of Coke over here. Us Scots aren't exactly known for our healthy diets so it may contain real sugar.