Friday, December 11, 2009

Apologies to Liza Minelli

We were talking about the worst Christmas recordings of all time, and my ultimate, nails-on-the-chalkboard, can't-turn-the-radio-to-a-different-station-fast-enough winner is a certain version of Jingle Bells. I always thought it was Liza Minelli. Sofia has heard about this awful version for a while, and from sheer curiosity wants to hear it. So I looked for it on YouTube, and found to my shock that it's not Liza at all! It's Barbara Streisand!

Sorry, Liza, to besmirch your reputation, and I write this post to clear your name.

It seems counterintuitive to post a song that I hate on my blog, but it's kind of like when you take a swig of spoiled milk and in describing how bad it is, you solicit others to taste it for their confirmation. (Hmm, I remember an SNL sketch about that...I'll have to look for it.)

6 comments:

Fran said...

Well, I thought you meant it was off key but it is just her own rendition of an old song. Actually, i thought it was kinda neat but I wouldn't want to make that a permanent change. :)

Dejahmi by Beth Respess said...

horrible isn't it? makes me cringe...

Burton Meahl said...

LOL - not much into Christmas tunes lately but I do remember this one growing up. I always thought it was fun. Maybe if I heard it over and over again, I might think otherwise. Was it on a movietunes disc or something?

Lynn said...

I had never heard that before. I wouldn't say it's horrible, but it definitely is weird and not something I would want to hear every year. But normally I like Barbra's music.

Anonymous said...

Have to listen to this one at work all the time during the holiday season. Out comes protective headgear anytime it's on.

Adam Christian Smith said...

Easily one of the most hellish Christmas songs ever done.