Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The price of affection

When I lay down with Bella and Alex for bedtime, one of our cats will often join us. Usually, Ling Ling or Cash will hop up on Alex's bed and curl up with him, but sometimes one of them stays on Bella's bed. Bella always wants the cat to lie on top of her, since sometimes a cat will curl up on my chest. I tell Bella that she's too small. The cat lying on top of her would be like us lying on a bed that was too small, it just wouldn't be as comfortable. She kind of gets it, but that doesn't stop her wanting a cat to sleep on top of her.

Tonight as we were getting ready for bed, Ling Ling got on Bella's bed. Bella squeezed in beside her, and instead of Ling Ling going elsewhere, she stayed beside our heads. Bella snuggled with her in the dark, and Ling Ling purred and rubbed against Bella's head. Then, quietly but sincerely, Bella said to Ling Ling, "I'll pay you to lay on me." I wasn't sure if I heard her right, but then after a brief pause, she followed it up with "I'll pay you five quarters."

Ling Ling did not take her up on the offer, but she did stay curled up on Bella's pillow until Bella was asleep. And that was good enough.

5 comments:

Elena said...

So cute!

Thanks for sharing. :}

Fran said...

I love it! One of our two cats likes to lay on us (the other and heavier cat just likes to rub you) but this little foster kitty really likes to curl up on the chest better than anywhere else. And he is a meower big time. Especially if he is hungry. He is now neutered and has calmed down a bit. He will go back to his family in April when he turns 1 year of age.

Lynn said...

"Priceless!"

Sherry said...

I laughed out loud when I read this. Wonderful!

Malone said...

That's a lovely story...