Monday, October 13, 2008

Appeal of Life

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I think I hate that expression.

I hate it because it's so true, but that truth makes me feel bad for not better appreciating what I have, and for having those inevitable moments of envy.

Just half an hour ago, I was walking across campus after checking my mailbox. I walked past one of those John Deere Gator things that security uses to zip around campus. The thought hit me that I wish I had one of those. I wish my day consisted of riding around on my farm, mending a fence here, checking on a sheep there. The simple life. Living off the land. No freeways, no driving through heavy traffic to buy more stuff. Just raising my own food and enjoying the simple pleasures. A good cup of coffee in the morning. Playing board games with the kids in the evenings. Going into town once a week for supplies.

Then I thought about how even though this fantasy is appealing, I know that I would miss the advantages of city life. Part of me wants a simple life, say, on a farm. And part of me wants a life where going to artsy movies and unique restaurants is the norm. I know, after a while, I would probably feel isolated and bored on a farm. The grass is always greener, right?

And fantasies of a simple life are just that. Fantasies. Most farmers would be the first to tell you that their life is not simple. I don't consider my current life simple because we juggle 5 people's schedules, there's a ever-flowing river of dirty dishes and clothes, we have 3 pets that add their own issues to the complexities of life. We have two extended families to consider for breaks and vacations. We need to nurture our friendships. Email is time-consuming enough, but the mountain of paper mail that grows every day is always waiting to be dealt with. And in the middle of all that, we have to cook our meals and clean up enough to at least be comfortable, and try to better ourselves spiritually and physically. And in the 3 minutes left over, try to make time for some hobbies.

But that's life. It doesn't matter if I'm living on a coffee farm in Costa Rica, a neighborhood in metro Phoenix, or an oil-company compound in Saudi Arabia. When you have a family of 5, life gets full and complex. No matter what. If the alternative to a crazy, hectic life is to have no kids, no wife, no family, then I don't want a simple life.

Who would have thought that such life-affirming introspection would come from looking at a John Deere Gator?

4 comments:

Mary said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. Maybe we just need a vacation on a farm. time to relax and reflect without outside pressures of life in general. Maybe do a little hard work on the farm jsut to feel the joy of taking care of needs. I don't know. I'm in a weird place emotionally right now, so I'm probably not making any sense/since/scents...whatever. I can never got that word right. Can you help my aging brain?

Fran said...

You are all welcome to come to our "farm" for a vacation, anytime. There are lots of fun things to do in the yard. You could develop your own garden in your own spot where ever on the "farm" you would like... Anything one does here betters the place. Since someday it will even belong to the four of you, you can feel like it is your own. We love all of you and your families so very much.

Anonymous said...

Let me just say that from staying on s horse farm that life is NOT at all simple. There is always something to be done but if you love some like horses (or in your case sheep lol) then it not really work as much as it is something you enjoy that so happens to earn you money too. Anyways! Can't wait to see ya! Ya'll can come to this farm while your here.

Malone said...

Yeah, whatever. So, have you finished the bass for 'A Forest' yet? :)

Just kiddin man. I'm amazed you have any free time with a family of 5. I'm finding it tough and there are only 3 of us!