Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ode to Britney Spears

I'm doing poetry with my classes right now, and I wrote a sonnet today while one of my classes was working. I had just seen a thing online about Britney Spears, so I started with the title "Ode to Britney Spears" and just went with whatever flowed. Strange thing is, I'm really not one of those Brit-watchers. I'm annoyed by the kind of people that I impersonate in this poem. Britney Spears is one of many examples of humanity at its saddest and most pathetic, and I wish people could muster up the will to turn the channel or not buy the gossip rag. But enough disclaimers.

I was tired of seeing my "screaming kid" post at the top of my blog, so I'm throwing this on just for a change.


Ode to Britney Spears
By Wayne Eury


Whenever I turn on the cable news
No matter the day or the hour
It seems that I’m always treated to views
Of struggles and needs that are dour

But there’s one thing I always trust to enjoy
A girl whose life’s gone astray
Oh, Britney, how could you ignore your boys
And go binging again one more day

So 'til Cox brings the Train Wreck Channel to my screen
I’ll have to settle for Brit
The photogs so cruel and the cameras so mean
Their passion for pain never quits

Though guilty do I feel when I watch it
I do so love watching Brit botch it



4 comments:

Mary said...

You are so talented.

Fran Eury said...

What a neat poem. We have such smart kids! Love, Mom and Dad

Malone said...

"'tis pure blarney"

Alex P. said...

It looks like you watch too much tv!