Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Moon time

We have a term we use in our household for that female monthly visitor. We call it moon time. I'm not sure where that came from, but I'm sure it's not original. Anyhow, our sweet little puppy is no longer a puppy.

Vivien got her moon time.

Alex and I had noticed some swelling of her private parts the past few days. It was confirmed yesterday when we saw little spots of blood on the kitchen floor in her pen.

I can't believe my little dog is growing up so fast!

This, of course, makes me start thinking about puppies. Part of the agreement for us to get Vivien was that she would have a litter of puppies for Valerie to sell. In a way I wish she didn't have to, but that's the agreement. I hope having puppies doesn't change Vivien's disposition.

Also, a part of me wishes we could keep one of the puppies. It would be nice to have 2 dogs so they could play and keep each other company. And to have it be mother and offspring would be even more special.

Of course, Vivien hasn't even been mated yet, and she's only a few days into her first menses, so this is all a bit premature. But sometimes blood on the kitchen floor will get you thinking.

4 comments:

PFC, Johnson, Steven said...

When I first started reading this I thought you were going to be referring to another female in your house and I was thinking "you thought my pic of carmel was inappropriate". Very relieved to know it was the dog you were referring to.

Bonnie and John said...

Oh how exciting. Is this her first moon time. If so it would probably be better to not breed her until the second moon time. How old is Vivian? Maggie has not gone into heat as of yet. But we also have thought about breeding her. Only we would have to be responsible for finding the puppies a home, and I will say 2 dogs are better then one. It gives them someone to play with. Our's keep each other entertained. Good luck
love ya

Lynn said...

Moon time refers to people cycles (usually lasting about 28 days), which if we were not exposed to artificial light would cause humans to ovulate according to the phases of the moon. It happens while we sleep apparently. I'm not sure if the ovulation occurs at full moon or if the menses does. But anyway, that's what I suspect is where the term comes from. Pretty cool I think :)

Anonymous said...

How sweet. Yeah, sometimes I feel sad that Cadie will never be a mommy but then she is such a handful, I cannot imagine having another sheepdog and Lord knows I would not want to have to find homes for a big dog. She is one year old on Saturday. Vivian will still have to grow up and will be a little bit different just because of no longer being a puppy. Having babies may mature her faster but I'll bet she will always be a sweet little dog.