Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving in New Mexico

I'm trying to think. In all my adult years, I don't think I've been anywhere where it snowed for Thanksgiving. I've spent Thanksgivings in Florida, North Carolina, Arizona...even New York City and Costa Rica. But I think this might be a first. We're in Tijeras, New Mexico right now, and there's about an inch and a half on the ground.


We're staying with my Uncle Doug and Aunt Lynn, as well as my cousin Mark. We left Phoenix after work on Wednesday and arrived at their place about 2 AM. We thought they'd be in bed, but they were up, playing dominoes.

Thursday was, of course, cooking and eating day. I made the mashed potatoes and corn casserole. Mark made mashed sweet potatoes. Sofia and Aunt Lynn made the cranberries and green bean casserole. Uncle Doug cooked the turkey. It was kind of nice to not be responsible for the turkey for the first time in 5 or 6 years! Uncle Doug's dressing was excellent. Here's what my plate looked like:

It was so good, I had another plate of seconds just as full as the first. I should have been a bit more moderate, because afterwards, I felt way too full. In typical Thanksgiving fashion, I snoozed a little bit while Uncle Doug was showing us his digital photo album.

We had pie a few hours after the meal. Aunt Lynn had baked 3 pies: pumpkin, pecan, and apple. I overdid that as well, having a small piece of each. Later on, the kids had a small dinner of leftovers, but I was done for the day.

We're staying till Saturday morning. Today, the kids have been playing in the snow. Our friend Tara bought Vivien a coat and little boots, so we've been using those here in the cold weather. The boots don't stay on very well, and she won't walk very much when we've got them on her, but the coat is great. I won't say that she likes the coat, but she certainly doesn't mind it. And it does keep her warmer.



When Bella wakes from her nap, we're going to drive into Albuquerque and go to some museums.

I hope everyone is having a nice Thanksgiving!

Playing Uno

3 comments:

Fran Eury said...

Well, what a great time you seem to be having. We had a houseful today (Mary had to work on Thanksgiving Day). There were about 19 family members here today. We also had snow last night but not nearly as much as you showed in your pics. I'll bet the kids had a ball playing in the snow.

Bonnie and John said...

Hey that's the same sweater/coat we got for Maggie. Great minds sure do think alike.
sounds like your holiday was fun, sorry for the van trouble.
love you all'
b

Anonymous said...

you forgot a couple of things:
*we had 5 inches of snow
*viven did not like the coat
* i played the thanksgiving on my trumpet