Friday, June 20, 2014

Skagen

This morning we drove to Skagen (57 miles, or 92 km, north). Skagen is the northernmost tip of Denmark, and continental Europe for that matter.

We stopped for coffee (and literally stopped and took the time to smell the roses). At Skagen, we walked the beach, looked at WWII bunkers, counted vessels in the sea, got sunburned faces, and picnicked by a vintage lighthouse.







At this point the North Sea and the East Sea converge, creating some interesting, confused waves and currents.

We walked around the shopping district of Skagen. The kids played hide-and-seek along the way. Finally, Bella couldn't stand seeing so many people eating ice cream anymore, so we headed home.



We got home at halftime during the first game of the day. Costa Rica beat Italy. So that was nice.

Bella and I drove into town to get some groceries, but we got to the stores at 8:05, and every grocery store closed at 8.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Yes, change of climate is refreshing! Keeping a blog or journal of all your experiences is hard because you are filling every moment with experiencing the new environment. I understand that. When I went to Europe Damaris was always able to sit at the end of the day and write about what happened, but I had a harder time doing that for taking care of all the planning for the next day or fiddling with my souvenirs or clothes, or whatever. I need her to give me a copy of her journal. I journaled with my camera.