Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hals

I just can't be as detailed as I would like. Not enough time in the day, not enough energy in the body. My goal is to blog every day, and at least cover the basics. It may not always be philosophical or insightful. Hell, it may sometimes be barely observational, but I'll try to get something. I'm already behind, but I'll blame it on the jet lag. Time to get caught up.

So we woke up at 12:30 in the afternoon. All of us. Even Bella. I know. Weird.

We finally could see the cabin in the full daylight, which was lovely. The crisp northern Denmark weather was light jacket weather to us Floridians, but that's not a complaint at all. Frankly, I would have been disappointed if it hadn't been cool enough for a jacket.


Marion made a delicious breakfast of breads, cheeses, meats, coffee, and Ostfriesen tea. The kids ate everything with gusto, even though it was different than their usual breakfast fare. A good sign.

Marion and Harry's son, Sören, warmed to us pretty fast

Brötchen

The kids played outside while the adults chatted and Cristina and I got a little more settled in. I snapped some good pics of the kids outside. At one point I lay on the grass on my belly to take a photo and it felt so good. The grass was so soft and warm and pleasant.


We drove into the town of Hals, walked the harbor, talked to a Swiss man who lives on a catamaran with his wife. He toured the Hals library, and Sofia even got a library card.






We ended up at a grocery store, where Marion and Harry got some things for a barbecue, and the kids used their own money for some bulk gummy candies. Cristina and Sofia picked out a few postcards.

We drove to a little beach and played. Harry and Alex did a little fishing. Harry caught a crab in a net and Bella held the crab in her bare hands and showed everyone else.


Back at the cabin, Harry and I got the charcoal going while the World Cup played on TV. The kids helped make the kebobs, and dinner was lovely. We ate outside.




Our first normal day ended fairly normally, with the kids in bed before 11 and Cristina and I down by midnight. Cristina was asleep almost immediately. I, on the other hand, had trouble falling asleep. I woke up at 4 am. It was so light out and I felt refreshed enough that I thought surely it was close to 7 or 8 am. Nope. I finally fell back asleep and woke up again at 6. Whatever.






1 comment:

Lynn said...

I am so happy to hear the basic details of your trip. it is like being there almost! Speaking of library cards I was wondering how people from other places get to check out books, for example, my friend said Jude Law came into the Pack Library recently to get books about Thomas Wolf. Maybe he didn't check them out and only looked at them while there, but maybe he asked to check them out, in which case he would have to have gotten a library card. I need to ask Ken about that.