Thursday, March 26, 2009

Birthday Aftermath

I found the photo of the cake (from my last post) on google images. Sorry, Burt. But I know Vivien liked what we gave her even more than cake.

After dinner last night, I cut up some raw chicken livers, put them in Vivien's food dish, and stuck two candles in it. We sang, Alex blew out the candles, and then we let her eat (after Bella threw a major temper tantrum for not getting to blow the candles out).

The kids (and Cristina) were repulsed when I was cutting up the livers, and were aghast when I told them that my parents made me eat them when I was little.

"Not raw, of course," I added. "Fried."
"Did you like them?" they asked.
"No. I had to choke them down with lots of ketchup."
They were stunned into silence.

But Vivi loved them.

Unfortunately, the ending to this story is not a happy one. Soon after scarfing the liver, Vivien threw up on the carpet near the back door. So we now have a nasty brown stain on the carpet. A birthday leftover. Guess I gave her too much.

Vivi has officially kicked off the birthday season in our household. Next birthday is Sofia's in about 6 weeks. And then they start rolling continuously until early September.

By the way, Mary, I thought about superimposing our faces on that picture of the Fantastic Four, but I couldn't do it at work. Alex would have been the Thing, I'd be Mr. Fantastic, Bella would probably have been Invisible Girl, and though the gender is wrong, Sofia could be the Human Torch. She'd probably be okay with that, seeing as how she'd get to fly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is pretty much how I pictured the 4 of you.

Sorry about the brown stain on the carpet. I wonder how Sofia will permanently mark her birthday celebration. Should be interesting.

Not only did we eat chicken livers as kids, we ate beef liver too...with onions. YUCK!!! YOu know how grownups will tell kids, "You'll like it when your older."? Well, WRONG!!! I still hate liver and onions. But I do now like brussel sprouts, so maybe they weren't all wrong.

Burton Meahl said...

Haha! I did not figure you would give her a cake. You probably would have had a bigger stain on your carpet afterward!

Fran said...

I do not remember that we "forced" liver down any of your throats! Yes, we insisted that one eats what is offered to them as the nourishment needed for them to grow. Yes, we sometimes had food you did not like but at least you got to try many things you might not have otherwise learned to enjoy had you not been made to eat new foods. Can't win them all. I don't recall that we had liver very often because I did not care for it that much but your dad loved it. I am still not that wild about liver. and in all fairness of how yucky liver looks when raw, lots of foods look yucky before they are prepared but then turn out to be delicious afterward.
Your children must think your parents are terrible people for "making" you eat certain foods you did not like before your taste buds were fully developed.
About the stain on the carpet, do you have the pet stain/odor removal stuff that you can get at Petsmart? It might just work if you treat it before it gets too old. :)
BTW, This mean ole mom loves you very much, I hope you know that.

Lynn said...

I made chicken soup last night and kept out the liver and fired it without flour, and loved it! I must take after dad. I like that stuff. Even beef liver if not overdone.