Friday, August 29, 2008

Weekend goals

As I wrap up another very full and tiring week, it's time to make a list of my weekend goals. Thankfully, it's a 3-day weekend, and it couldn't come at a better time.

1. Family night. Probably pizza and a movie. We have a DVD called "Amazing Caves" which we heard about at the rock and gem museum in Asheville. Maybe we'll watch that.

2. Gator football. Florida vs. Hawaii, 9:30 am Saturday. Alex and I will drive to Maloney's in Scottsdale to watch our third national championship season kickoff (how's that for a prediction?)

3. Shopping in Mesa. Cristina wants to go to a clothes swap to trade some old clothes for, well, different old clothes. As long as she brings back far less than she takes, I'm happy. And it doesn't cost anything. While in Mesa, I'm going to swing by Bookmans, a big used bookstore, and try to trade some old books. Hopefully I can find some new books for my classroom library. Hmm, the only Krispy Kreme in the state of Arizona is in Mesa. Hmm...

4. Turkish buffet. When we first moved to Phoenix, we had some Turkish neighbors. They had two sons about the same age as Sofia and Alex, and we struck up a nice relationship. The Phoenix Turkish Association puts on a big buffet dinner to raise money a couple of times a year. We love Turkish food, so any time we get invited, we go! All-you-can-eat, home-cooked Turkish food...I can't wait!

5. Movie with Peter. Hamlet 2. Saturday night. Not sure if I'll have room for popcorn and Coke after pigging out on Turkish food, but I'll waddle across that bridge when I get to it.

6. Cut the grass.

7. Catch up on laundry.

8. Shampoo downstairs carpet.

9. Change sofa cover.

10. Sort and process mail basket.

As you can see, the first half of my list is far more interesting. But the second half is kind of nice, too. I actually like those kinds of days where we have a big breakfast and then work around the house, everybody chipping in, listening to NPR... Cristina probably has more things to add to the list, but if I get all 10 done, I'll be pretty satisfied.

4 comments:

Malone said...

What's Maloney's? I picture a sports bar that serves great chicken wings but I'm guessing it's not as a)you don't drink b)it's 9:30 in the morning and c)you're bringing your son.

Let me know what you think of Hamlet 2. It's got Steve Coogan, who's hilarious but has had some duff movies. I saw the trailer and thought it looked great though.

Wayne said...

Maloney's is a sports bar that actually serves crappy chicken wings. In fact, I'm always disappointed in the food there. BUT...it's where the Desert Gator club gets together to watch the games. Since this game starts at 12:30 in Gainesville, it means us Pacific Standard Time folk have to get up early, and the restaurant does to. I've sworn that I will not order any food. I'll just get a soda or something.

Lynn said...

Lofty goals. It helps accomplish them by writing them down. I am working from 2-5 today, Saturday. Will vacuum sometime today, do laundry, maybe grocery shop. Sunday will go to Greenville's devotional (last one of the month is music and food). Celebrate Evan's birthday. Will be "laboring" on Labor Day (Evan's actual birthday) because my charge has no school and the restaurant will be open.

Fran said...

Who won the ballgame??? Was it a Gator day?