Thursday, May 22, 2008

Indiana Jones

Tonight I am going to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I've been following the evolution of this film for several years now, from long-running rumor, to protracted script re-writes, and finally to actual shooting. And now today is the day. I can hardly wait.

I remember when Raiders of the Lost Ark first came out. I was almost 9 years old. My parents went to see it first and afterwards, I vividly remember my mom recounting the propeller scene and how gruesome it was. In my mind, I pictured it much worse than it actually was, but that's imagination for you. They took me to see it and I was hooked. Before long I was looking up the Ark of the Covenant, as well as archeology, in our World Book Encyclopedia. I also put some "treasures" in a cigar box, carefully buried it in the woods in our back yard, and then, starting on the far side of the woods, trekked through the jungle, occasionally checking my tattered map, until I arrived at the treasure. Ah, the good old days. When kids actually pretended, and acted out scenes like their heroes. Now, they just play the video game. But I digress...

In the pre-video days of Raiders, when movies were re-released a few times, it was very common to go see a movie several times in the theater. Especially if you were a kid. But that didn't mean there was always an available parent or adult willing to take you. About 10 months after the original release of Raiders, it was playing in re-release at a small theater relatively close to our house. I just knew that, at 9 1/2, I was mature enough to handle going to see it by myself, since I figured no one would want to take me again. So I wrote my mom a letter asking for permission and put it in our mailbox.


Amazingly, I still have the letter. I recently found it in a file folder of short stories and drawings that I made around the same time. As persuasive writing, it's quite good, if I say so myself.


And the good news is my parents let me go see Raiders of the Lost Ark, for the third time...by myself. I don't remember who took me or picked me up. But I'll always remember how cool it was to spend 2 hours in a dark theater with my hero.

And tonight, 27 years later, I get to do it again.

7 comments:

Fran Eury said...

I wish I could go see it, too. He is my hero also! I loved all of the "Raiders" films. I may have to wait and watch it on pay-per-view but I WILL see it. Love, Mom

Bonnie and John said...

you are hilarious!!!! you are indeed persuasive. That is neat that you kept that letter and actually found it again.
love you!

Malone said...

I like the way the 'yes' box is bigger than the 'no' box. Nice subliminal suggestion there... I can see your mom now, "Hmm, the 'yes' box seesm bigger tha the 'no' box, and there's more space to put a check mark in it, I guess I'll go with that one." Nice move man. Glad it worked.

Did you have to write a similar letter to Cris this time? :) (I shouldn't make fun, I haven't been able to clear it with Laura yet. We'd both like to go actually, but have yet to leave Seren with someonw else for more than 15 mins. There are special baby / parent screenings we coudl go to but they're few and far between.)

Burton Meahl said...

Tyler, Kelly and I are going this weekend while we can. The neighbor will be watching Toby.

This pretty much guarantees I will be sharing a "water broke during the Indiana Jones movie" story.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! What a great fly over of memory lane! Love the 'graphics'! I haven't seen a yes-no checkbox since middle school! "Do you like me? Check yes or no." :)

Mary said...

For some reason this story makes me want to cry. I guess I just miss the good ole days. I guess I am realizing that kids don't stay young for long, and my little boy, Steven, has become a man. I miss the boy sometimes. Sorry to get so sappy. The closer it gets to the moment he has to leave the more emotional I get. On a lighter note...Jimmy is taking his sons to the movie. Should make for a great bonding moment. Hope you enjoy the movie. Love you lil bro. M

Malone said...

Geez. Sorry for all the sloppy typos. BTW I went to see it today. No spoilers but sure we'll chat about it once we've all seen it.

Oh, sorry to hear about your mom's tumble. Hope you're recovering well Mrs Eury!