Thursday, March 13, 2008

My First Grill

When we bought our house 2 and a half years ago, I always imagined having a gas grill on the back porch. I've never owned a grill, not even a cheap little charcoal grill. My parents had a gas grill when I was in high school, but that doesn't count. Now that I had my own house, I wanted to complete the package by grilling food for the family and friends in my own back yard.

Yet, two and a half years after moving into our house, we still had no grill. It was just too extravagant of a purchase. There was always something else we needed more, needs that were more pressing (for example, if Sofia is going to take piano lessons, we need to get her a keyboard).

With our new focus on debt reduction, it seemed even less likely that a grill would be in our immediate future. But then I got an idea.

In May, the government will be mailing out checks. The Economic Stimulus Package. The injection of cash intended to jump start our sagging economy. When I first heard about it, I thought we'd just put it towards our debt. But then I realized that it was my patriotic duty to spend at least some of it! After all, saving it or paying a credit card with it will not help the economy. So I decided (with Cristina's okay) to spend a quarter of the "free money" on a grill.

After extensive research, I made my choice. Monday, I picked up my Blue Ember.


I know what you're thinking. They don't mail those checks till May. Why did you get the grill now? Well, by May, it's starting to get pretty hot here. Right now is prime outdoor time. Highs in the upper 70's/low 80's. It would be a shame to wait until May and miss out on these 2 months of beautiful backyard grilling weather. It just so happened that the grill I chose is sold at Home Depot. I have a Home Depot credit card. If you make a purchase over $300, you get 6 months of no payments and no interest. Bingo! I can charge it now and when the check comes in May, I pay off the card.

I chose the Blue Ember by Fiesta for a few reasons. For one thing, it had all the features I could possibly want plus some bonus stuff that was just icing on the cake. I mean, it even has a bottle opener mounted on it. But more impressively, it's made with 304 quality stainless steel, which is better than you get in most grills of this relatively low price.

I decided to buy one in the box instead of one that was already assembled. Something about putting it together myself was more appealing. You get intimate with your stuff when you assemble it yourself. You know how it works, how it's built. I like that.

The only problem I had in assembly was in taking off the big stickers that they put on it for demo-ing all the features. They didn't come off cleanly and I had to use my fingernails and Goo-Gone. It was very anticlimactic to the whole assembly process.

I inaugurated it Tuesday night with some boneless chicken breasts and a big thick ribeye. It worked great and I didn't do too bad considering my lack of experience with grilling. I even got the cross-hatch grill marks down pat. Today I tried out the rotisserie and cooked a whole chicken. It also came out very nice. I grilled some zucchini and squash, as well as some garlic bread. Sofia made a comment about how I almost cooked the entire meal on the grill. Aww yeah.

My aunt and uncle arrived tonight for a short visit. Tomorrow I will grill some brined boneless pork chops. I can't wait!

I intended on taking lots of pictures of me building the grill, grilling my first meat, etc. But I couldn't find the camera for a few days (Cristina finally found it in my jacket pocket. Oops!). So for now, I'll just stick on some stock photos so you can at least see the style of it.

And if you want to come over to my house, I'll grill you up something to eat.

For any gadget freaks out there, click here for a list of the features!

10 comments:

Bonnie and John said...

my family will be so jealous! They all love cooking on the grill. Josh is probably the most experienced and Andy is learning. David has a small propane (coleman)grill at school. John just inherited his first gas grill from a guy he works with. It is pretty nice(his wife wanted a newer one). You by far have the fanciest one yet. You will surely enjoy it.
love you

Fran Eury said...

Wow! Can't wait to enjoy it in April!!! Love to all. mom

Mary said...

Just think how much cooler your house will be by cooking outside. No hot ovens to heat things up inside. I love your grill, I assume you will be able to take it to Fl when you move. Enjoy!!!

Wayne said...

Yes, the grill will go with us to Florida. In fact, that was part of my motivation for getting it now...I better buy it here in AZ while my salary is higher. It would be even harder to buy one in Florida where teachers work for food scraps.

Lynn said...

How much money are we supposed to be getting? I haven't heard. I haven't even thought about what I will spend mine on since I didn't even know it was going to really happen.
I'm so out of it. Congrats on your new baby! Hey, maybe I can use my money to pay for a plane ticket to come have grilled food at your house!

Burton Meahl said...

Pasting this from an email a friend sent me:
------------------------------
Tax Relief Checks Info 2008
Here : IS THE DATES WE WILL BE RECEIVING OUR TAX RELIEF CHECKS. IT IS SCHEDULED BY THE LAST 2 NUMBERS OF YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER.

PUBLIC REALTIONS
The check is in the mail
Week Last 2 digits of your SSN Receive your check by week of
1 00 - 09 July 23
2 10 - 19 July 30
3 20 - 29 August 6
4 30 - 39 August 13
5 40 - 49 August 20
6 50 - 59 August 27
7 60 - 69 Sept. 3
8 70 - 79 Sept. 10
9 80 - 89 Sept. 17
10 90 - 99 Sept. 24
For married taxpayers who filed a joint return, the first Social Security Number on the return determines the mailing date. Source: Internal Revenue Service

Here's the breakdown according to MSNBC:
If you made less than $75,000 in 2007, you get $600.
A couple earning less than $150,000 gets $1,200 back, plus an additional $300 per child.
If you made at least $3,000 but paid no taxes, you still get $300.
But here's where it gets tricky.
The rebate is technically an "advance credit" for your 2008 taxes, leading some to believe the extra money will come out of your refund for next year.
"No," said Rudoy. "It's a one-time stimulus to the economy, and it won't affect anything that anybody has for next year."
The IRS gave Call 4 Action the same assurance.
Plus, it said you can get another $300 next year on top of the rebate check if you have a child in 2008.
And unlike years past, it won't make you pay taxes on that rebate money.
But many of you who are elderly or low-income, living off Social Security or veterans benefits, could miss out altogether.
To get the rebate check, you must file a tax form for 2007, even if you're not required to do so. Otherwise, you're passing up what's essentially free money.
If you're unable to file on your own and cannot afford to hire someone, Call 4 Action found two organizations that will help you for free.
First is the AARP. Their hotline number is 888-227-7669. Next is the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program. Their number is 800-906-9887.

Burton Meahl said...

Cool Wayne! We've been grilling for years! We grew up on it. I'd say we hit the grill 3-4 days a week. It is easy cleanup and the more you do it, the more you master it. I've never tried rotiss action, but have used the "chick-can" method successfully. Welcome to the club...did you also get an appropriately oversized set of grilling tools? :-D

Malone said...

Man,that is one nice piece of kit my man! I have grill envy. Then again I don't have a garden to put one in, or sun for that matter. I guess I have garden and sun envy too.

I hear what you're saying about the reward of putting it together yourself. I remember when my dad bought ours in Florida (remember it?). He took it home and we stayed up late putting it together in the back porch. Good father-son bonding.

I can't believe the US Government are sending out cheques (note the British spelling - aren't we weird?) to everyone in the country to help stimulate the flagging economy. I gotta say that that's just a little odd. (Though I'm obviously just jealous). We're having similar problems over here, but the way our government deals with it is to cut interest rates (which it's done several times already). You say tomato I say tomato...blah, blah, blah...

Unknown said...

John says nnniiiccceee!!!!!

Fran Eury said...

What about those who receive electronic deposits? Surely they will come earlier just like our refunds do. Otherwise it will be September 17 before we get any stimulus. Ugh! Need it all and I need it now!!!!