Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Dublin and blogging in Duleek

Some might think I'm crazy for staying home and blogging and resting instead of going into Dublin for the day. But it hit me that my travel blog, which I've kept since 1994 when I first visited Costa Rica and wrote longhand in a legal pad, is like a barometer for my pace of travel. One of the benefits of getting older (there are some) is knowing your limitations. If I'm traveling and don't have time and energy to blog, I'm doing too much. I need to slow down enough to at least get caught up on my blog every three days or so. Today was our seventh day of travel, sixth day in Ireland. I felt like if I didn't carve out the time for myself, the blog was not going to happen. And I have a travel blog for Sofia's European trip and Alex's Costa Rica trip. I plan to publish each one in book form. Not having a blog for Bella's trip is not an option. So instead of going into Dublin, I slept in and puttered around this gorgeous house all day.

After sleeping till about 9 am and lying in till 10, I got up and had coffee and toast. Bella and the Hines left a bit before 10 am. I let Cristina sleep. She slept till 11.

I showered, dressed, put on some good music, and plugged away at the blog on Cristina's laptop. Bella sent a few updates on how their Dublin visit was going. 

Unfortunately, Jacoby got sick in Dublin and Jeremy brought him home, where he immediately went to his room and crashed. Hopefully it's just something he ate and he'll be better soon. Nancy and Bella stayed for a while longer and then took a train back.

I stopped about halfway through my blog catch-up to run to Tesco and get some stuff for dinner. Don't tell Sixt, but Cristina drove to Tesco. I wanted her to experience driving a stick shift on the "wrong" side. I think it helps her fully appreciate the job I'm focusing on while she's enjoying the windscreen sightseeing (and navigating).

I got the ingredients to make bangers and mash, though mine would more accurately be called bangers and champ, because I added scallions to the mashed potatoes. It came out great. We added some sautéed leeks, and broccoli and asparagus on the side.


Alas, the low fuel light has been on and with two more days of driving, I had to get a little diesel. Trying to end the week with as little in the tank as possible, I just put 5 liters in the tank. It made no change. The low fuel light was still on and it said I only had about 50 km left. Annoying.

Jacoby slept all afternoon and was running a fever.

While the moms tended to Jacoby, I drove back to Applegreen and put 10 more liters in, and suddenly the fuel gauge jumped up to nearly half a tank and said I had 315 km. What the heck, Hyundai!? So I have plenty of fuel. Too much, probably.

We hung out in the living room and I continued blogging. By 10 pm, we were all ready for bed, but we had bought fresh raspberries and ice cream for dessert, so of course we had to eat that. I had considered going for a walk, but I decided to actually try to hit the sack before midnight. Alarm set for 7:30 am. Tomorrow, Newgrange. Our last prehistoric monument!

No comments: