Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Yearbook Memories Part 3 - Burt

Burt. He's the only one of my friends who holds the distinction of having fought me on the playground (always the pushing/tackling type of fighting, never fists). Regardless of our violent past, he is still one of my best friends. We worked at two movie theaters together, we roomed in a dorm together at UF, I went to grad school with his wife, and Burt and I both share a love of writing (which neither one of us gets to explore as much as we'd like). Today we'll look at the evolution of how Burton Meahl signed my yearbook.


5th grade:

Wayne,

You're a nice friend to be with but you've got to shape up. Good luck with grade 6.

Your friend, Burton Meahl



6th grade:

Wayne,

You've been a real good friend. You've also helped me in places I thought were impossible. Thanks!

Your friend, Burton Meahl



7th grade:

Wayne,

Good luck next year in the 8th grade. Matt wrote in my yearbook, "I hope you're in Wayne's homeroom again!" It really hasn't been that bad being in all of your classes this year and years before. Because you really are a good guy!

Your friend, Burton



8th grade:

Wayne,

Hey good buddy! this is Burton writing this! This was a great year! (only because I'm looking forward to getting away from this #!@?+ school! (bad language). The CHS is getting nearer and nearer isn't it? That really sounds neat, doesn't it? "The class of "90" enters the Citrus High School!" This may sound ordinary but I'll say it anyway. "Have a great summer and good luck in the 9th grade!" Oh, by the way, I'm going for the N.C. Tarheels next year! If you see me during the summer, you can pretend to punch me and I'll fall backwards! (But not at the WP Pool!)(even though you may be in NC!) Well, I've taken up enough room by now, don't you think! Well, I'll see ya later!

Your friend and good buddy, Burton (watch out CHS, here we come!)

P.S. Wouldn't that be neat if we were in the same homeroom again next year! I guess it's impossible so, goodbye!



9th grade:

Did not sign.



10th grade:

Grandma, uh I mean Grandpa,

You know, none of your jokes really hit my funny bone this year. You've really been a bore and I hope you have a lousy summer. I hope you fail and become a second year sophomore! (Just joshing w/ya!) <--(Scooter's famous words!) Naah, you've been a great friend through everything. Your jokes have definitely improved and your "grandpa" voice rules. Well Tig, it's also been fun playing darts at your house and trying to get together for making a newspaper to pass "honors" English. (By the way, don't let anyone tell you different, but your computer is awesome!) Well...I hate the word "well." It's so yearbookish! Anyway, (new word) Anyway, have a summer full of violence and sex. (<--a "Steve saying")

Oh, by the way, hope you get your driver's license w/out a problem. It ought to be easy, I hope. Well, I guess I'd better quit writing all this bull shit (<--you told me to!) and wrap this story up. Have a great summer and stay cool!

Yur good buddy, Burt (Ed, Alf, Mortimer, etc.)



11th grade:

Wayne,

Wow thankx for all this room so roomy to write in. Nevertheless I'm going to try to write what's on my mind weaving in and out only to express my thoughts. Well, Wayne, it has been great being your buddy since 5th grade. Wow. We have really known each other a long time, eh? The only thing is, every year hadn't been so awesome. But this year I kinda felt like I could tell you about everything. You've always had to remind me of the morals we're supposed to follow because I, as well as others, tend to forget them at times. Anyway, thankx a lot for attempting A's Christmas present. Maybe someday soon we can finish it + sum. It'll be great and then we can give it to her. She'll love it. Anyway, maybe you and me and Steve and Dom can get together this summer, eh? I'd like to be accepted into that group a bit more than in the past. I realize that's because I've kinda ignored ya'll--but that should change this summer 'cause I'm gonna need some good friends. You've always provided in the past and I know you will this summer and next year. Anyway, (shift) thankx for the good times. Your a real pal after all these years. Good luck and have fun this summer, okay?

Yur pal and good buddy, Burt



12th grade:

Well, Wayne, what am I supposed to write? I've known you for almost as long as I've lived here. As we've both probably written in every yearbook, we had our tough times in the early years. But we've become great friends and now look at us, we're UF-bound. That's pretty awesome if you think about it. Then Dom's gonna be there soon, so will Steph. Anyway, you're a real funny guy--and I've always looked up to you becuase you were probably the 1st person who inspired my creativity. Remember in 5th, you always wrote short stories for the fun of it? I began trying that and I liked it and have been enjoying drawing and writing ever since then. This senior year has been pretty wild. We definitely made like seniors. And I appreciate you humoring me in the early years when I had to hang around ya'll w/an effort. But maybe that happened for the best 'cause we're all "the posse" and can talk about anything. That's real friendship. Well--that's enough sentimentalism. Although I'll see ya next year probably about every day--good luck in all you do. Good luck w/the bass. I'll see you in G-ville.

Your pal, Burton
Go Gators

1 comment:

WNC mountain gal said...

Good morning! It is awesome for me to reflect back on how much your life has been affected by these special friends. Not many can boast that their best friends in middle school are still their best friends 20+ years later. They are dear friends and it has been neat for you to write them up in such an interesting way. Guess that is why you became an English teacher... You are one cool son, son and you know how much I love you.